Many people have been asking how I am feeling. To sum it up, I'm feeling a mix of about 20 emotions jockeying for first position at any given moment. Excited, yes. Nervous, yes. Glaring at my dishes trying to will them to pack themselves into boxes: nope, still doesn't work. I am quite certain that once all the loose ends are tied, everything is packed and the boarding pass is in my hand I will be on cloud 9.
Some things I've learned about Thailand so far, in no particular order:
- Thailand has never been colonized.
- The capital is known as Bangkok to foreigners, however the local name for the capital city is Krung Thep - which means "City of Angels."
- Bangkok is 14 degrees north of the Equator.
- There are three New Years celebrations in Thailand: The Western New Year (Dec 31/Jan 1), The Chinese New Year (Jan or Feb, varies by lunar calendar) and the Thai New Year in April (Songkran water festival).
- It is considered rude to point your feet at anyone or anything, and shoes must be removed before entering homes or temples.