Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One Week

In approximately one week, I am leaving the United States for Bangkok, Thailand, where I will be teaching English and computer applications to 7th, 8th and 9th graders.  On the one hand, I have been working with 6th, 7th and 8th graders for about one scholastic year now.  On the other hand, the paradigm shift I am about to encounter will involve many cultural, language and culinary firsts.

Many people have been asking how I am feeling.  To sum it up, I'm feeling a mix of about 20 emotions jockeying for first position at any given moment.  Excited, yes.  Nervous, yes.  Glaring at my dishes trying to will them to pack themselves into boxes: nope, still doesn't work.  I am quite certain that once all the loose ends are tied, everything is packed and the boarding pass is in my hand I will be on cloud 9.

Some things I've learned about Thailand so far, in no particular order:
  • Thailand has never been colonized.
  • The capital is known as Bangkok to foreigners, however the local name for the capital city is Krung Thep - which means "City of Angels."
  • Bangkok is 14 degrees north of the Equator.
  • There are three New Years celebrations in Thailand: The Western New Year (Dec 31/Jan 1), The Chinese New Year (Jan or Feb, varies by lunar calendar) and the Thai New Year in April (Songkran water festival).
  • It is considered rude to point your feet at anyone or anything, and shoes must be removed before entering homes or temples.

No comments:

Post a Comment