Monday, October 25, 2010

Packing...

As the clock ticks down to my departure, reality is sinking further in.  I've chosen to uproot myself and move half way around the world.  I know one person in the city I am moving to.  I know how to say hello in Thai, and that's about it.  I got by in Italy with pointing, the phrases "Senza latte?  Senza formaggio?  Quanto Costa?"  They even asked me if I was a Spaniard when I lapsed into Spanish.  I don't think I'll have that crutch to fall back on in Thailand so much.
My apartment clutter is dwindling down into boxes, small appliances are finding new homes through Goodwill and sweaters are going into storage.  Friends have helped pack things in bubble wrap for me to come back to someday.  This is my last night sleeping in this apartment - I'm going to miss it a little.
I'm going to miss a lot of things, I would imagine some things I haven't yet thought of.  But I won't look back and think, I wish I had gone and taught in Thailand.  I am actually doing it.  Wow.
I'm thankful that I looked at the airline regulations sooner than later, because as it turns out my airline is following domestic weight regulations for their international flights.  So both my bags need to be under 50 lbs.  Woohoo!  That's alright, I'm working on carting less stuff around.  Also decided to get a travel luggage scale for good measure, I mean I'm going for a year after all.
Oh, so on the airline note - I have my flight confirmation numbers!  *Huge sigh of relief*  I have my visa and my plane tickets - this is really happening.
In other travel ready measures, I'm glad to find out my Mac computer does not require an electricity converter, just a plug adapter, it can accept currents from 100 to 240 volts.  So I have one less thing I need to buy/pack.  And I don't have to worry about frying my computer (Phew).  The only other thing I would need a converter for is a hair dryer or other hair styling tools - not worth it, I can just buy one there or do without.
That's really all I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment